Recognizing Veterans’ Skills Posted: 05 Oct 2016 12:44 PM PDT
Helping veterans transition to civilian careers is increasingly a priority on the federal and state levels. Between 2013 and 2015, 39 states created policy to assist veteran transfer to civilian employment. Recent federal legislation, the Veterans’ Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, created a demonstration project to help states streamline veterans’ access to credentialing and licensing. Six states participated in the demonstration project, and below are the strategies they developed to facilitate veteran transition:
- All six states developed bridge programs to prepare veterans for education and training programs
- Five states created policies for licensure reciprocity
- Five states developed strategies for veterans to enter training programs with advanced standing
- Three states implemented ways for veterans to earn licenses through examination
- Three states created streamlined administrative rules and procedures
Recognizing and rewarding the skills and experiences of veterans is crucial for developing the workforce and helping individuals who have served this country to be successful in civilian life.